10 Essential Public Health Services
Communicate effectively to inform and educate people about health, factors that influence it, and how to improve it
Equity & Systems
Public Health can center equity and systems in communications by:
- Fostering a sense of transparency, authority, and trust
- Emphasizing the connection between health outcomes and vital community conditions
- Developing accessible, culturally and linguistically appropriate, and tailored communications
- Using inclusive and destigmatizing language
Public Health in Action
Public health communication has a critical role in growing awareness about health outcomes and risk factors that add up to action and impact. For example, a massive, coordinated, multi-faceted communication campaign for tobacco control has helped to move the needle on tobacco use. Now, fifty years after the U.S. government acknowledged the risks of tobacco, smoking has been banned in many public spaces and use has dropped by more than half.
Communicate to diverse audiences
- What role does communication play in improving health, well-being, and equity?
- How can Public Health advance equity through communication activities?